We recommend that Tasmanian State and Local government allocate resources and funding to the following actions between the years 2012 – 2020:
1. Politician and advisor education on the importance of facilities to bike riding participation.
2. Reinstate the Trails and Bikeways Program - ensure program permanency.
3. Support Bicycle Tasmania to investigate proposed facilities.
$20,000 per year for 2 years.
4. Strategy and Plan for Major Arterial Bicycle Routes.
The Tasmanian Government resource a detailed Tasmanian State Bicycle Network Strategy to complement and build on the Cycling and Walking for Active Transport Strategy.
5. Allocate resources to both plan and complete the following priority projects.
|NORTH WESTERN TASMANIA||EAST COAST TASMANIA|
|North West Coastal Pathway Connection||East Coast Convict Road upgrade|
|Riding to School routes||Riding to School Routes|
|NORTHERN TASMANIA||WEST COAST TASMANIA|
|Inveresk to Rocherlea cycleway||Riding to School Routes|
|Riding to School routes|
|Eastlands to Mornington cycleway|
|Derwent Park to Prince of Wales Bay cycleway|
|Battery Point Foreshore cycleway|
5. Action Plan.
Commit to an Action Plan from 2012-2020.
7. Build capacity within government.
DIER, Sport and Recreation, Education and Tourism develop the ability to obtain and apply the knowledge and operational changes required to start creating a bicycle network for all Tasmanians.
8. Build partnerships.
Identification of projects and real progress towards the development of partnerships for each project between every level of government and other service and industry groups where applicable.
9. Fund detailed project planning.
Immediately fund planning of priority routes identified in the Department of Infrastructure, Energy and Resources (DIER), Principle Urban Cycling Network (PUCN) study undertaken in 2011, as well as local connector routes to the PUCN. Allocate funding for planning and investigations into future facilities recommended by Bicycle Tasmania including:
- On-road bicycle facility connections
- Off-road bicycle facility connections
- Quiet streets and routes for riding
- Regional recreation and tourism facilities
10. Fund detailed design work.
Fund the detailed design work into projects recommended by Bicycle Tasmania to bid for federal funds and construct.
11. Fund construction.
Allocate funding for an annual bicycle facility works program for off-road facilities and incorporate bicycle facilities into any road improvements, line marking and bicycle facility provision into road budgets.
12. Support established programs.
Establish pilot ride to school program coordinator in Tasmania and support activities Establish pilot ride to work program co-ordinator in Tasmania and support activities
13. Continue to support the State Mountain Bike Plan