Big Channel Ride
This event is on as Planned .... See you there!
The Big Channel Ride is Bicycle Tasmania's premier long distance ride through the picturesque Huon Valley and Great Bay Channel, with stunning mountain and coastal views.
In 2013, Bicycle Tasmania has teamed up with the Royal Hobart Hospital Research Foundation and Bike Ride to make this world-class road cycling route the biggest yet; with more rides, longer distances and greater inclusiveness for all levels of riders.
The Big Channel Ride is a great day out for both novice and experienced riders. From the 5km Family-Friendly Ride to the Iconic 131km Loop, there are six ride distances available to ensure there is a challenge for everyone, including for the first time a Mountain Bike Ride.
So, mark 10 November in your 2013 diary as a must-do event and experience the thrill of riding the Big Channel with hundreds of fellow cyclists.
9:00am - 131km Road Ride - Route Map
9:30am - 107km Road Ride - Route Map
10:00am - 78km Road Ride - Route Map
11:00am - 5km Family Ride - Route Map
All rides start and finish at Dru Point Bicentennial Park, Margate.
Big Channel Ride Participants will be supported with a map and route instructions on the day, a food voucher, rest stops with food and drinks and a mobile support wagon.
Our Police permit for these rides requires every rider to have a rear flashing bicycle light which must be turned on in the event of any inclement weather.
Individuals $25 non-members, $15 members
Family $50 non-members, $25 members
Win a Bicycle Tasmania Jersey and Knicks
Sign up on the day to be a Bicycle Tasmania member and go in a draw to win a Bicycle Tasmania Jersey and Knicks valued at $110, or;
Current Bicycle Tasmania members that register for one of the rides will also go in a draw to win a Bicycle Tasmania Jersey and Knicks valued at $110.
Winners will be notified by email/phone by Friday 15 November.
Is now open online: https://www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?E=10482 (online registrations close 18:00, November 9th), and will also be open on the day from 8:00am.
To purchase your own Bicycle Tasmania cycling kit, visit our store here.
If you would like to volunteer to help put on this event, please contact Peter Thurling - firstname.lastname@example.org
Bike Ride tent
Thanks to Bike Ride, who have joined with Bicycle Tasmania and the Royal Hobart Hospital Research Foundation to bring you the 2013 Big Channel Rides.
- The Bike Ride tent will be set up at Dru Point allowing people to come and ask specific questions of Bike Ride staff.
- Bike Ride will support those just about to head out on their ride with the ability to do some quick maintenance of bikes or by having available a basic set of supplies and gear that people may need before the ride. Or just in case they need a nice pair of 4Shaw socks!
- Throughout the day Bike Ride staff will give presentations and advice on how riders can best set up their bike for comfort, including saddle type and riding position. They’ll also offer presentations on basic maintenance skills, with a focus on things that people can do to look after their bike between bike shop services and on how to fix issues out on the road.
- There may also be some test bikes that people could try riding.
Bike Ride – www.bikeride.com.au – 74a Liverpool Street Hobart – where our great love is cycling and helping others to enjoy their cycling
For safety reasons the rides may be cancelled if weather conditions are extremely poor (thick fog and/or strong winds and/or heavy rain). On the evening and early morning prior to the event, the go-ahead status will be displayed on the Bicycle Tasmania website: www.biketas.org.au and Bicycle Tasmania Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bicycle-Tasmania/
- November 10, 2013 at 8am - 12pm